Sunday 4 December 2011

Eat my cakeing Birthday Cake!

On the 18th of November it was my lovely (but very hyper) friend's 23rd birthday. Seeing as she made me a delicious praline chocolate cake for my 23rd and a giant blue cookie, it seemed only right that i baked her a cake in return. 


I thought I would try to be a little more adventurous than my signature chocolate fudge cake and attempt a tiered cake. The recipe I found was this:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5819/white-and-dark-chocolate-cake


It seemed that it would be straight forward enough that an amateur like me could manage it but that it would be impressive enough for a birthday celebration.


Overall it was pretty simple to make, the only difficulty I found was in accurately halving my white chocolate sponge mixture to create the two white chocolate layers. Only one of my white chocolate sponges were usable, so my four tiered cake became a three tiered cake. 


Cake decorating is definitely not yet my strong point, but chocolate ganache can cover even the biggest cracks in badly cut sponge and after melted white chocolate is piped over, I don't think in the end that it looked too bad.



Taste wise, I prefer my signature chocolate fudge cake, it has a lighter sponge, whereas this one was quite dense and the amount of ganache made with plain chocolate meant it was quite bitter, which I guess it a subjective thing. I prefer sweeter chocolate. The important thing was that the birthday girl liked it and that it was not a complete disaster.


Next blog- samosas for a vegan bride and altering a dress that I bought from ebay that was no where like what the description said.

No comments:

Post a Comment