Monday 16 April 2012

Sweet and Savoury.

On Saturday the house of MoshJohn had a joint birthday party. Because we are brilliant hosts John and I baked. John made lovely scones and I made cupcakes. I was initially going to make thirtysomething sweet cupcakes but because our lovely friend Elise made us a 5 TIER CHOCOLATE/PRALINE/ALMOND CAKE! I decided to try making savoury cupcakes to even out the sugar to savoury ratio. 


The results were as follows. 






The savoury cupcakes are pine nut and red pepper, I think they don't look very appetising but they tasted pretty good. Their texture is more bready than cakey, but that's fine with me. 


If you would like to make them. Here's how. 
  • In butter gently fry for about 5 minutes, 2 finely chopped shallots, 2 diced red peppers and 2 cloves of garlic. Remove from pan and leave to cool. Gently toast 100g of pine nuts in the pan. 
  • In a large bowl mix 125g of butter with 125g of plain flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 125g ground almonds, lots of pepper and 4 beaten eggs. 
  • Add the red pepper mixture and pine nuts. Mix well. 
  • Divide into cupcake cases and bake for 30 minutes at 180 Celsius. 
The recipe says it makes 12 but I think I got 17 in the end. If you wish you can pop a bay leaf in the top before baking for prettiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment